Notary public - commercial

Why would I need a Notary Public rather than a solicitor?

Although most Notary Publics are solicitors, the additional qualification that Notaries possess entitles them to be recognized professionally abroad. This means that, in most cases, if a document is executed in England or Wales for use in another jurisdiction, it will need to be notarised before it will be accepted in that other jurisdiction.

In recent years more and more UK citizens have bought property abroad, which may need to be dealt with. Likewise, foreign nationals based in this country may also need to deal with their own foreign property. In either case, it may not be possible, or indeed convenient, to visit the country in question. In such cases, a Notary Public may be able to assist.

Similarly, many companies have dealings abroad or wish to set up companies outside of the UK. Notaries can assist with that process.

Our Notary Public service means we prepare, attest, authenticate and certify deeds and other documents, for use abroad for private individuals and companies alike.

We can advise on:

Private individuals

  • Witnessing the signature of documents for use outside the U.K. (for example, Powers of Attorney in relation to foreign properties)
  • Authenticating the signature to and/or the content of documents and facts recited
  • Provision of notarised copies of documents – identification documents, qualifications, etc
  • Obtaining legalisation from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and foreign embassies/consulates where appropriate
  • Notarising documents in connection with adoption applications for children from a foreign country
  • Verification of translations of documents into and from English (via a translator)
  • Administering Affidavits and Statutory Declarations for use outside the U.K.


  • Witnessing powers of attorney for use overseas
  • Authenticating company documents for setting up companies/offices abroad – memorandum and articles of association, obtaining Certificates of Good Standing from Companies House, etc
  • Notarising of deeds of assignment of intellectual property rights
  • Protesting Bills of Exchange
  • Administering Affidavits and Statutory Declarations for use outside the U.K.
Duncan Sigournay
01225 340064
07775 744952
Jeremy Thring
01225 340099

Latest News