One of the primary aims of Trading Standards is to protect the consumer and their regulatory function is extensive.
Our Business Crime Team have successfully represented many individuals and businesses facing prosecution by Trading Standards for example:
- Unfair Trading and Labelling Offences – for example the illegal importation of DVD’s from the continent and non-compliance with the Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 2012 in respect of the display of British Board of Film Classifications labelling
- Trademark Infringement – for example relating to various merchandise advertised for sale on eBay containing images that were allegedly infringing trademark rights held by a number of Premier League football clubs.
- Weights and measures – for example a pub selling diluted beer
- Age restricted sales – for example a nursery selling knives to the under age
- Consumer safety – for example representing a business selling drinks with high bactoscan readings
- Animal Welfare – for example defending pet owners and farmers against prosecutions under the Animal Welfare Legislation and associated Regulations including horses, cattle, sheep, poultry, pigs and goats.
Should you or your business become involved in a criminal investigation or prosecution we think creatively about all options available. We recognize that the best results can often be achieved by negotiation with the authorities including plea bargaining. This may avoid prosecution altogether.
Where there is no scope for negotiation we have many years experience successfully defending our clients from criminal prosecution. We can help you if:
- you have been arrested or your business has been subject to a ‘dawn raid’
- Trading Standards want to speak with you or interview you about an investigation
- you think you may be prosecuted for a criminal offence
- you have been charged with a criminal offence.
Whether for you personally or for your business and regardless of the issues, we will take pride in fiercely guarding your interests and protecting you.