The increasing complexity of operating within the energy and waste sectors is self evident. The need for energy security allied to the requirement to reduce carbon emissions does, however, produce opportunities. There has been an accelerating convergence of the energy and waste sectors with energy recovery now commonly viewed as a waste management tool.
Participants in the energy and waste sectors are obliged to operate in a climate of continuing regulatory change, fast paced technological development, fluctuating prices and increasing competition.
Understanding these challenges is fundamental to the team at Thrings. Our specialist lawyers provide advice on regulatory, environmental, procurement, commercial and infrastructure issues relevant to these sectors. We advise on the complete planning, construction, completion and maintenance cycle of energy projects in addition to resource and waste management.
Energy from Waste (EFW)
Our team is very active in EFW work and is currently engaged on various projects acting for clients placed in differing positions in the supply chain. By way of example, members of our team have experience in working on EFW projects involving the following types of technology:
- Mechanical biological treatment
- Anaerobic digestion
- Pyrolysis and
Our projects range from small biogas projects for larger farms to 25 year term PFI contracts. We are currently advising clients utilizing innovative technology including clients developing major gasification plants and the first commercial producer of liquid biomethane from landfill sites.
We have the depth of knowledge that enables us to discern what our clients are trying to achieve and the commercial issues worth pursuing.
Our team has experience in conventional energy sectors particularly oil, gas and nuclear and renewable energy. Documents negotiated include:
- Power purchase agreements and energy supply agreements
- Connection agreements
- Emissions allowance trading agreements
- Off take agreements
- EPC contracts on various energy source plants
- Decommissioning Contracts
- Gas field management agreements
- Gas Extraction Agreements
- Wind and solar farm options and leases
- Windfarm construction and maintenance agreements
Waste and Waste Management
Members of our team have experience in acting on waste PFI projects both for waste collection or management and waste disposal acting for local authorities and contractors including the storage of radioactive waste materials.
Other waste work includes:
- Waste agreements
- Feedstock supply agreements
- Advice on waste transportation licences
- And defending clients in relation to waste disposal and control actions under the EPA 1990, remediation notices and disputes on waste supply agreements