Our Property Dispute Resolution team is one of the largest, truly specialist, teams in the South West, with a significant presence in London too. We provide an appropriate service, at the right cost, for any given property dispute. Other property professionals, including surveyors, barristers and other law firms refer work to us on a regular basis.
The property disputes team at Thrings is one of the largest specialist practices in the region, and it handles a broad range of issues.
Our expertise is wide-ranging, including property agreements across the spectrum, commercial L&T disputes, residential L&T disputes, and real property disputes. We are proud of our excellent track record in resolving disputes prior to the issue and service of Court proceedings, to include ADR and our excellent track record at mediations too. Where there is no alternative to Court proceedings and litigation, we also have an excellent track record at trial with a number of reported cases.
At all times we provide carefully tailored, strategic advice to our clients on the options that are open to them, the associated risks, and the way forward that we would recommend. We are commercial, pragmatic, and clear in both our advice and our approach. We also give clear advice on costs throughout, including the issues arising. Our significant expertise extends to acting for clients with substantial interests across the property spectrum, to include corporate occupiers, developers, pension fund property, offices, industrial, retail, licensed premises, mixed use, portfolio-owning clients, investment properties, institutional landlords, charities and major corporates. Frequently we work with our clients in providing bespoke training on specific contentious property issues arising.
We are enthusiastic and always willing to visit the property concerned in order to have the best commercial understanding of the dispute and its practical significance on the ground. We have an excellent track record in bringing together teams of property professionals to meet our client’s specific requirements, to include surveyors, architects, planners, engineers and land surveyors as appropriate.
We advise on a wide range of issues including;
- Termination of leases/applications for possession
- Service of break notices and notices to quit
- Determining interests – lease of licence
- Business lease renewal
- Dilapidations and alterations
- Forfeiture of leases
- Recovery of rent arrears
- Service charge disputes
- Rent review disputes
- Issues arising out of Farm Workers’ tenancies
- Landlord and Tenant breaches of covenant
- Options on tenant insolvency
- Residential leasehold enfranchisement
- Orders for sale of land
- Contractual disputes on the sale and purchase of land • Boundary disputes
- Restrictive covenants, benefits and burden issues
- Rights of way including prescriptive and express easements
- Rights of light, including interference and obstructions
- Drainage related issues
- Nuisance issues in respect of the use of land
- Establishing rights of ownership and interests in land
- Rectification of title issues
- Adverse possession
- Removing trespassers from land via possession applications
- Advising on claims for compensation relating to compulsory purchase of, or interference with, land
- Proprietary estoppel and misrepresentations concerning land disputes.
- Land options and associated valuation issues