The retail sector is one of the fastest changing sectors in the UK economy. The issues that face retail businesses, their owners and managers are demanding and wide-ranging.
There are opportunities: developing markets for value and luxury goods retailers; the growth of online retail; and expansion of the brand into overseas territories.
There is also an increasing number of challenges, including tough economic conditions, aggressive discounting, increasing energy and fuel prices, increased consumer expectations, regulatory restrictions and the pull between out-of-town shopping centres and the High Street. Retailers need skilled advisors with a high degree of sector-specific knowledge to help reduce risks and ensure your business evolves strategies for success.
Thrings’ multi-disciplinary Retail Sector team has wide experience in this demanding area of the law; we get to know our clients’ individual business needs and give commercial and focused advice that is competitively priced.
We advise on:
- The options for expansion, through own stores, acquisition, franchising, concession or other routes to market
- International channels to market, including brand licensing, master franchises, distribution and wholesale
- The regulatory burden in the channel to market, advertising and promotion, marketing law, online retailing and data protection
- Management of your property, handling agreements for lease and leases of retail premises; planning and construction issues; dilapidations, lease renewals and exit strategies
- Sourcing, including the supply chain relationships and contracts, logistics partnerships and financing issues
Some examples of our work include:
Advising leading brand owners Denhay Farms, Great Western Wine, Links of London, Ripples and Ryder Cup on a range of issues such as brand protection; licensing, franchising and concessions; online issues; supply chain; and international expansion
Acting on retail premises and schemes for Canary Wharf Group Plc (CWG)
Acting for Crest Nicholson on Bristol Harbourside’s mixed-use scheme.
Acting for Milsom Place Limited on Bath’s prestigious fashion and food-led scheme, having secured prelettings with Jamie’s Italian, Hobbs, Cath Kidston and Phase 8.
Advising a number of household name retailers, including National Trust (Enterprises) Limited, in respect of their primary and secondary location portfolio.