Thrings has been named as a Band One legal firm for agriculture and rural affairs in the latest edition of the Chambers Guide to law firms, published today (31 October 2013).
Seen as ‘the bible’ for identifying the best lawyers and firms in the UK across 100 different sectors, it is the most in-depth review of the profession available.
The Chambers Band One accolade follows the firm’s Top Tier ranking for agriculture and estates in the recent Legal 500 law directory, published in September.
Five lawyers in the agriculture team at Thrings were also highlighted as leaders in their field:
- Peter Cusick, who heads the team, was identified as giving an ‘excellent service’ and working determinedly on behalf of his clients.
- Neil Barbour was cited as an expert in farming transactions.
- Duncan Sigournay was mentioned for his expertise in agricultural property, including tenancies, sporting rights and rights of way.
- Russell Reeves was identified as a leader in the field of agricultural and regulatory litigation, noted in particular for his handling of high-value farm partnership disputes.
- Anita Symington, based in London, also received top recognition.
The agriculture team at Thrings is one of the largest in the country and is known for advising landed estates, farmers, agricultural businesses and producer organisations in a range of matters, including contentious issues and cases before the UK courts as well as the European Court of Justice.
Work undertaken advising the NFU and Country Land and Business Association regarding a potash pipeline in the North of England was highlighted as an excellent example of their specialist expertise. With the potential to contribute an estimated £4 billion to the economy, this was a highly sensitive and important project.
Peter Cusick said: “Chambers is one of the most prestigious legal directories in the UK, as well as across the globe. To have achieved top band for agriculture and rural affairs in this year’s edition is excellent news and coupled with our ranking as Top Tier in the Legal 500 is well-deserved recognition of the talent, skill and dedication of our colleagues.”