Jim has a broad-based private client practice which is predominantly tax and trust driven; he specialises in imaginative, practical and cost-effective tax and succession solutions for landowners, businesses and families.
Jim Sawer is an excellent trustee with a good handle on business.
In recent months, Jim has undertaken a diverse number of innovative and challenging matters, including:
- Brokering workable solutions and diffusing tensions for family members and beneficiaries at odds within deceaseds'' estates and family trusts, thus avoiding court proceedings and preserving family unity.
- Advising on changes to the taxation of mineral royalties within a Settled Land Act settlement
- Devising a unique ownership structure for South East Asian Investors in a West Country boutique Hotel
- Creating a Sub Partnership for a farming family and their trustees to hold development land and claim CGT entrepreneurs' relief on eventual sale
- Overhauling the trusts of a 50-year-old settlement with a £100 million trust fund, to improve and maximise future flexibility and management of inheritance tax charges.
- Restructuring the ownership of valuable residential properties by non-domiciliaries and offshore partnerships/corporations, in light of the Finance Act 2013.
"I have received such excellent service from you!"
Client, April 2012
"Jim Sawer [is] particularly highly rated."
Independent legal directory, the Legal 500 2012