Matt joined Thrings in March 2013, having undertaken a broad mix of property dispute resolution work since qualification in 2008. Matt brings considerable and varied experience of many areas of property disputes, combined with his experience of successful alternative dispute resolution techniques such as mediation, arbitration and adjudication.
Acting for commercial entities, corporate occupiers, private individuals and property-owning charities, Matt is quick to grasp the issues and client’s priorities. Matt’s specialisms lie in dilapidations actions, break notices and commercial lease renewals and exit strategies generally, adverse possession cases, boundary disputes of commercial value, rights of way issues and evicting trespassers.
Matt’s more recent cases have included:
- Advising on an airspace encroachment/trespass issue involving a substantial London development;
- A dilapidations case hinging on evidence as to the state and condition of the property on original grant of the lease;
- Representing a commercial tenant in a claim against a landlord in nuisance and breach of quiet enjoyment;
- Setoff and recovery of rent and service charge arrears;
- Adverse possession and easement applications to the Land Registry;
- Boundary dispute involving commons land and the local council;
- Forfeiture of a commercial tenancy with residential element;
- Advising on opposed lease renewal for grounds of redevelopment;
- Various residential possession proceedings matters including both accelerated possession cases and section 8 rent arrears possession cases.
Matt is an active member of the Bristol Junior Chamber which promotes interaction with regions’ businesses and professionals alike.
Matt enjoys spending his spare time surfing, mountain biking and snowboarding.