23rd April 2018
The family-owned recycling and landfill company collected the coveted ‘Outstanding Excellence’ trophy at the 2018 Wiltshire Business of the Year Awards at a spectacular gala dinner at Center Parcs in Longleat Forest on Friday.
Alex Pinhey, partner at event sponsors Thrings and a member of the judging panel, presented the award to managing director Richard Crapper in front of more than 350 of the county’s leading entrepreneurs, SMEs and organisations.
The accolade rounded off a hugely successful evening for Crapper and Sons, who were also named as runners-up in the Medium-Sized Enterprise of the Year category and shortlisted for the Corporate, Social & Environmental Responsibility award.
Swindon recruitment business C4s-Search was the evening’s other big winners, picking up both the Learning & Development Employer of the Year and Small Business of the Year awards.
Meanwhile, James Napp, managing director of Chippenham-based computer software company Bechtle Direct Ltd, was crowned Business Person of the Year.
Now in their 24th year and organised by Newsquest Wiltshire, the Wiltshire Business of the Year Awards acknowledge and celebrate the achievements of the county’s dynamic and thriving business community.
This year businesses competed in a total of 10 categories – including the brand new Corporate, Social and Environmental Responsibility award – with all entrants gaining automatic entry into the Thrings-sponsored Outstanding Excellence award category.
The full list of winners:
• Creative Marketing Awareness Award - Wiltshire Inch Loss Clinic
• Corporate, Social and Environmental Responsibility Award - Create Studios
• Learning & Development Employer of the Year Award - C4s-Search
• Medium Sized Enterprise of the Year – First City Nursing Services Ltd
• Services to the Community – Ganges Indian Cuisine
• Start-up Business of the Year - Poppy’s Picnic
• Customer & Staff Care
- Under 10 employees: Busy Books
- 10 – 50 employees: Bewley & Merrett Funeral Directors
- Over 50 employees: Swindon’s Bus Company
• Business Person of the Year - James Napp (Bechtle)
• Small Business of the Year - C4s-Search
• Outstanding Excellence Award – Crapper & Sons Landfill Ltd
Alex Pinhey said: “This year’s judging process has been harder than ever, with the panel receiving entries from a huge range of businesses of varying size and diversity. Picking winners in each category was no easy task.
“The judges were particularly impressed with Crapper and Sons, whose positive approach to sustainability, innovation and customer service, as well as their support for local projects, really set them apart. Its management team also came across as passionate and enthusiastic, presenting a clear business strategy to expand into new markets and bring in new ideas.
“This has been a fantastic twelve months for business in Wiltshire, and on behalf of everyone at Thrings, I would like to congratulate all those who have made – and continue to make – the county such a great place to do business.”
Click here for more information about the awards.