buying a house

Take five guide - Where to start when buying a house 

 Our Take Five Guides throw out the jargon and provide you with concise legal advice direct from our lawyers, in five simple steps.


1. I want to move house. Do I need a solicitor?

Buying or selling a property is often one of life’s milestone moments, but with several parties involved the process can be complex and stressful. Professional advice will make the process as straightforward as it can be providing you with clear and comprehensive advice to help with your conveyancing.

2. What will a conveyancing solicitor do for me?

Your solicitor will carry out investigations of the property title to ensure that you are buying the house you think you are. A number of searches will be undertaken which may reveal for example any planning constraints, flooding or environmental issues. If you are selling your home, your solicitor will help you to complete property information forms which provide your buyer with general information on the house. If you instruct your solicitor as early as possible, they can have your draft contract prepared and ready to go as soon as you have a buyer. Once everything has been agreed (including the completion date) the solicitors will exchange contracts and the parties have a binding agreement to sell and buy the house on the date fixed for completion.


3. Does it make any difference if I am a first-time buyer?

A solicitor will take a personal approach with your property transactions, whether you are a first-time buyer or a property developer, prioritising your needs and circumstances and ensuring the process is as efficient and stress-free as possible. Every property is unique, and each carry their own challenges.

4. Can I speak to my solicitor throughout the moving process?

You can speak to your solicitor directly throughout the process. They are professionals with specialist knowledge and experience to ease any concerns you have. Solicitors work alongside independent financial advisers, insurers, estate agents and surveyors to help you through the entire process.

5. What happens once I am ready to move?

On the completion date money moves between the solicitors. If you are selling your home, then your solicitor will deal with the repayment of your mortgage if you have one. The buyer’s solicitor will deal with the payment of the Stamp Duty Land Tax and registration of the transfer of the property to you with the Land Registry.


Would you like to know more?

Please contact one of our expert lawyers in this sector.

You can download a PDF version of this guide.


Thrings legal take five guides